Part 7: After Giving Birth in Brazil, Here’s What You Do Next

Brazilian Passport for a Baby

By daughter’s Brazilian passport

I’ll never forget holding my swaddled little baby girl for the first time while gazing over the beach from our apartment window.

As I was looking at her, a culmination of feelings hit me but one main feeling stood out above others: “This little girl is beautiful…and she’s Brazilian!”

Then the sense of accomplishment hit me like a ton of bricks, all of these months of planning and hard work to make that one moment happen were over… and the mission was accomplished – we had a Brazilian child.

So the hardest part was over and the next steps would be a piece of cake compared to what we had to go through to figure out everything alone – which you hopefully wont have to with this guide I’ve made for you.

After having gone through these next steps, I’ve decided to share them with you today.

Here they are:

  1. Get a birth certificate.
  2. Get a passport for the baby.
  3. Apply for residence.

Note: if you haven’t read any of the previous posts in this series, I would recommend that you check out the main page first

Note 2: your baby receives citizenship upon birth regardless of the parents’ citizenship!

Let’s do this!

Getting a Brazilian Birth Certificate for Your Baby

When your baby is born, the hospital you are staying at will fill out a yellow form called a “Declaração de Nascimento Vívo” (Declaration of Live Birth) that looks like the below example.

“Ficha amarela” Live Birth Declaration

This document is referred to locally as the “ficha amarela” (yellow form) as it used to always be yellow, it has since changed color to white.

Within the document it contains all of the necessary information about your baby’s birth to get your birth certificate – including an imprint of your baby’s foot for proof.

After you have this document from the hospital, then you are ready to get the Brazilian birth certificate.

The next part has to be done at a “cartório” (notary public).

What to do at the “cartório” (notary public)

In Brazil, all birth certificates are offered free of charge at the cartórios but there are a few things you will need to make sure to have in place before you go:

  1. 2 Brazilian witnesses
  2. The baby.
  3. The mother and father.
  4. Your CPF numbers
  5. Proof of residence

The first 4 of 5 are pretty straight forward: you need 2 Brazilian to vouch for the child’s birth, the baby (obviously), the mother and father, your CPF numbers and a proof of residence.

A cartório must be within your jurisdiction, i.e. you can’t just choose any old cartório and go with it, it must be the one that has jurisdiction over the city you live in.

The most difficult of the 5 is the CPF number and proof of residence.

I have a guide for getting your CPF Number here but here’s a little explanation about the proof of residence.

A proof of residence can be a notarized letter with your CPF number on it from your landlord stating you reside there, a utility or cell phone bill with your name on it or the like.

Chances are that if you are in Brazil on a tourist visa or the like, you will need to go with the landlord proof of residence route.

But the proof of residence must be notarized from the cartório where your landlord has his signature on file!

As soon as you have all of the above 5 requirements together, you just show up at the cartório and ask them to process the birth certificate.

After a few minutes and a few stamps and signatures – viola!, you now have your baby’s birth certificate

My daughter’s birth certificate (with some info removed obviously)

With this Brazilian birth certificate, a whole new world of opportunities have just opened for you and your child – congratulations!

Getting a Passport at the Policia Federal

If you are planning on travelling back to your home country to then come back at a later time or to visit and show off your new little one, you’ll need a passport.

Getting the passport is pretty straight forward compared to a normal passport and only takes about a week or so.

You apply at your local Polícia Federal and pick it up when it’s ready there as well.

There is one major difference when applying for a baby’s passport compared to an adult or child one: you must provide your own picture of your baby, they will not take one for you.

How to take and make a baby passport picture

Here are a few simple steps to do it yourself:

  1. Take a clear headshot with your camera on a white background with no head coverings (see my baby’s picture in the top of this post).
  2. Go to , choose “Brazil”, upload the picture and create the image
  3. Save it onto a CD/DVD or SD card.
  4. Bring it to a store that prints pictures and you can either choose to print passport pictures on the machine or ask the attendant to help you.
  5. Use that final picture for the passport application.

When applying for a passport, you will first need the documentation at , which includes printing out a form and paying the passport fee at any Banco do Brasil:

After you have paid the fee and have proof of it, you take a number at the Polícia Federal reception desk and wait your turn.

As soon as it’s your turn, you sit down with an officer, submit your application with proof of payment, birth certificate and the picture.

It will then be processed and you should receive a letter in the mail telling you that your passport is ready.

You can count on it taking at least 1 week to come through but there are expedited services if needed.

Applying for Residence Based on a Brazilian Dependent

In this part of the post, I’ll give you a rundown of must know information and cover the actual step-by-step how to in another post (too long for this post).

Now that you have a Brazilian child, you can stay in Brazil as long as you want regardless of your current , citizenship or criminal background (if you have one)!

And to top it off, you will get official work permission too (Carteira de trabalho).

Residency based on a Brazilian child is one of the only two Visa types that can be applied from within Brazil – I.e. you can switch visas without having to leave the country.

Moreover, there is one extremely important piece of information that you must know: you CANNOT apply for this visa from the outside of Brazil, it must be done from within the country.

The Process of Applying for Permanent Residence Based on a Brazilian Child

You can either:

  1. Apply directly at the Polícia Federal within your jurisidiction or
  2. Use a visa agency from within Brazil (like ).
  3. Apply from an embassy in your country of residence (some don’t allow this).

The advantage of applying in person is that you will save money but then you will have to deal with the bureaucracy involved.  Whereas if you use a visa agency from within Brazil, they have connections and will make it happen faster.

When you apply for permanent residence based on a Brazilian child, you will get a “protocolo”, which is basically a piece of paper that has your protocol number that will be used as temporary ID until your visa goes through.

With this protocol document, you can use it to re-enter the country, as ID instead of a RNE (A foreign Brazilian identity card) in order to open a bank account and other things that require Brazilian ID.

An example of a protocol document.

Be aware that not all places accept the protocol document as a substitution and that’s where it can get tricky to get things done as your visa process can take up to several years (though probably less if you use a visa agency from within Brazil).

I personally know someone who waited 3 years for her permanent visa based on a Brazilian child to come…. During the long waiting period, she used the protocol to get around.

Like I said before, there is much more to applying for your permanent visa then above and I will write a dedicated blog post on it soon.

Final Words

It was tough to get the must knows after birth into one post and I hope that what you needed to know was included, if not then please ask.

Feel free to ask anything below in the comments section for other’s to benefit too.  If it’s too personal, then feel free to contact me.

Cheers – valeu!


P.S. give this a thumbs up if it was helpful :)

Posts from the Giving Birth in Brazil series:

3 part free video series teaches you step-by-step everything you need to know to make the move to and live a happy life in Brazil >>
  • naomi

    thanks so much for the info. do u know of any genuine visa agencies in brazil? plz send me a link, thank u so much.

    • Kevin Porter

      Hello Naomi! Send me an e-mail to let me know where you are located and I’ll look into it for you!

      My e-mail is kevin(at) or you can click on the “Contact Me!” tab above.


  • Hasan

    Amazing article and experience, well done …I am outside brazil and I will be going through this process very soon as we are expecting our first baby..I have two questions if you don’t mind, do we need two CPF number myself and my wife, or one is enough, and when we get the protocol do we need to stay in he country to follow up on process or agency can do it, can we get in one year iOS six month if we pay money. Knowing that we will deliver the baby in São Paulo. Thank s

    • Kevin Porter


      You will need a CPF number for yourself and wife.

      After applying for the visa, you can expect a home visit usually within a few months from the Federal Police, so it’s best to be there.

      But no worries as you can always apply after your child becomes a citizen.

      You can get the process sped up a bit if you use an immigration lawyer or agency, you will have to check with them to find out if and how much they can do that.

    • رستورانت سفره افغان

      you 2 should have that,

      • saghir ayub

        Do both parents have to be in Brazil to get baby’s birth registered and obtain passport? Or only mother can do it.

        • Nadia

          Did you find out or get any answer if both parents have to be in Brazil to get the baby’s birth registered and to get the child’s passport? Was this possible? Please share your experience.

  • Shana

    Is it imperative to apply for permanent residency right away, or can I just get a Brazilian passport for my theoretical baby and then come back later, when I’m ready to apply for permanent residency?

    I guess it seems kinda silly and overcomplicated for me to consider doing it like that. Alas, I can only get four months of maternity leave and I’m not ready to give up my (amazing!) job quite yet. But my biological clock is ticking and I really want to give my child the gift of dual nationalities… it’s just so handy.

    • Kevin Porter

      Nope, it can wait! It’s worth doing it :)

  • Lawrence Da Silva Ash

    my brazilian wife is pregnant with my baby and i am living with her here on a expired tourist visa when she has the baby will i still be granted a permenant resident visa even though i am here on a tourist visa that has expired

    • Kevin Porter

      Yep, sure will!

  • Ky Adderley

    Have some questions bro!! Can I email you or FB! My wife (american) and I are living here in Rio on my work visa and just found out we are expecting:-) Thanks for this info and experience!!!

    • Kevin Porter

      Hey Ky, responded to your message on FB! Tchau (and congrats :) ).

  • cosmi


    Are you still living in Floripa?

    I have an expired student visa for about a year now- means i am living here illegally for a year..I am living with my live-in partner which is also on the same boat. I am 2 months pregnant now. Here are my doubts;

    1. Do you think we will have problems finding hospitals because we are living here illegally?
    2. when the baby arrives, will i be granted a permanent visa?
    3. Does my live-in partner will be granted the same visa even we are not married officially? or we need to get married first?

    Thank you in advance.

    • Kevin Porter


      Am going to be in Denmark for a month or so but back in beginning of December.

      No problems with hospitals, yes you’ll get the visa, yes your partner will get the same visa without being married :)

      Don’t know if I mentioned it, but I’ll cover the birthing option in more detail in my free video series:


  • Laura

    can i just say im almost crying?! I am pregnant, so blame it on the hormones if you need to! but this site seems to answer ALL the questions that have been panicking me for the last few months! I knew we would get their eventually but to have such an in depth ( in English!) guide to help us navigate the next few months of giving birth and getting residency here has made me so happy. I cant wait to check out the rest of your guide and videos. i know things are different state to state but at least we have some kind of basis now! Thank you so much! if you are ever in Recife, please let us know we will take you out to a Churrasco to show you how grateful we are! Laura and the Bump ( aka Pipoca!)

  • Turner Payne

    Hello again, am curious, any news on the more in-depth “Applying for Permanent Residence Based on Brazilian Child” post?? Thank you!

  • Mo

    what if we are staying in one of the hotels? how could we get a proof of residency then? is the hotel bill with our names, CPF number on it will be considered as proof of residency?

  • hazratgul

    i have an brazilian baby now i have lot of problem to take my brazilian porotoclo, they say because my visa validate was for one month now we can not help you, what is the good way for me? i went to police federal about 5 or 6 times that 3 times was with son and mother of son but still have same problem, everthing is ok just they say my visa is expire i am living here from about 10 months ago

  • رستورانت سفره افغان

    I have one brazilian baby he has 3 months and i live here about 13 months i want to share you very important things,
    1. i have a protocal number same like that photo that is shared in this post,
    2. I have CPF
    but what i faced to problem is:
    when i went to bank to open an account they told me they want Siclit and some bill of my house like monthly payment of electronic or water or anything that is registered by my name, want to tell you what is siclet it is a paper that approve that i am living here and something else that should talk with the police federal that you taken your protocol id,
    how did i understand all this problem when contract with a website company and final the month they told me that give me the number of your bank account of brazil then i faced to this problem, that still i do not know what should i do? i am going to talk with police federal maybe they will help me,
    one more thing if you really want a baby then during staying in Brasil your visa should not be expired otherwise you will have lot of problem to take your protocol number if you want i will tell you all where you will face to problem it is easy before expiring your visa just go police federal and tell them your wife or girlfriend is pregnant and you can not leave her alone then they will give you more 6 months visa

    • saghir ayub

      if father is not in Brazil, can mother still apply for citizenship or both parents have to be in Brazil? please reply.

    • Guest

      Do both parents have to be in Brazil to get baby’s birth registered and obtain passport?

  • Stephanie

    Hello, i have overtayed my visa given i was pregnant when the time expired, now my son is 4 months old and i want to marry my brazilian fiance. but of course we need to head to the policia federal to apply for a permanencia, the question is, will i need to pay that dreaded multa for overstaying? and will it takes longer for me to be able to get married or once i am legal again with a protocolo can i get married? any info would be great, thanks!!

  • peter

    Me and my wife got protocol num.and cpf card we are here on refugee status .if my wife giving a birth to the child so within how many month we will get paasport of all three of us ?. Plsss reply .

  • SAM

    I am so keen to have the Brazilian passport, I am planning to have my child born in Sao Paulo but I can’t live in Brazil for a year and leave my work in Dubai. But I am planning to go to Brazil from time to time after the baby is born. Will I still be able to get the Brazilian passport within two years if I am not living permanently in Brazil.

  • Frankie

    What if the child’s father isn’t present? At any point, are the authorities likely to research your reasons for being in the country? And I think I only have three months on my tourist visa, if that would be enough time.